Return to Frequently Asked Questions
FACTORY NEW AMMUNITION ONLY - NO EXCEPTIONS
Due to the potential liability and hazards of using reloaded or remanufactured ammunition, all ammunition used at PrairieFire NV must be new, factory-made ammunition.
If you are renting a gun from this facility, (handgun, shotgun, rifle), you will be required to use ammunition purchased onsite at the Ammo Bunker.
If you are going to be bringing your own ammunition for your own gun:
- We require the use of jacketed bullets.
- The bullet design may be full metal jacket (FMJ), total metal jacket (TMJ), jacketed soft point (JSP), or jacketed hollow point (JHP).
- Shotgun ammunition must be lead; no steel shot
- Birdshot should be lead #8 or #7 1/2 shot
- 20 gauge shotguns should bring #2 or #3 buckshot, as 00 buckshot is almost impossible to find
- Handgun and Rifle ammunition CANNOT have a steel jacket around the bullet or steel core inside the bullet. Check with a magnet if you have any doubts. We are concerned with the bullet, not the case.
Do not bring the following types of ammunition or bullets:
- Steel jacketed bullets (TEST YOUR AMMUNITION (the bullet) WITH A MAGNET BEFORE ARRIVING!)
- Steel core bullets (TEST YOUR AMMUNITION (the bullet) WITH A MAGNET BEFORE ARRIVING!)
- Lead bullets with no jacket (except for use in revolvers)
- Lead bullets with a thin copper “wash”, such as American Ammunition (not to be confused with American Eagle Ammunition made by Federal Cartridge Company)
- Armor piercing, tracers or other incendiary ammunition
- Steel shot, magnum loads or 3” shells for shotguns
- NOTE: There have been three weapons damaged by catastrophic failure that were using Chesapeake Ammunition's NiPac 9mm ammunition. Because of this, we will no longer allow ANY Chesapeake NiPac ammunition to be used in any of our courses.
Bring the following quantities of new, factory-made ammunition for your specific course:
- Handgun Courses (9mm, .357 SIG, .40 S&W, 10mm, .45, .38 Special, and .357 mag)
- Around 380 rounds per day
- Shotgun* (2 3/4” 12 gauge Tactical Loads or Reduced Recoil recommended)
*Birdshot should be LEAD #8 or #7 1/2 shot. NO STEEL SHOT, magnum loads or 3” shells!
- Rifle (Minimum caliber 5.56mm*)
*NO Steel jacketed or steel cored rounds!
- Night Courses
Shipping and Storage of Ammunition:
We are not able to store your ammunition. Therefore, we cannot accept delivery of your ammunition or store your unused ammunition. Please make the appropriate travel and shipping arrangements.