NOTE: The following course description is effective on 01 January 2018. Offerings
of the 2-Day Tactical Handgun taught prior to that date have slightly different content and require a
prerequisite of Distinguished Graduate on the 4-Day Defensive Handgun Skills Test.
PrairieFire Nevada`s 4-Day Defensive Handgun gives you a solid foundation in basic gun handling and
marksmanship skills. Now it`s time to add additional shooting skills, tactical skills, and basic night
shooting skills in our 2-Day Tactical Handgun course.
Note: This course contains only a modest amount of tactical exercises. The
focus of this course is to give you the tools and techniques to win a tactical encounter. This course is
intermediate-level training and is required to attend higher-level courses such as Advanced
Advanced Courses` Prerequisite Flow Chart:
Cost: $100/day for members
Prerequisite Class(s): Attend a 4-Day Defensive Handgun and achieve a Graduate Certificate in 4-Day Defensive Handgun or Handgun Skill Builder or Defensive Handgun Skills Test course.
ALL students must show photo ID at Sign-In, regardless of age!
You never know which fighting skill you will need to defend yourself or a loved one. Our 2-Day Tactical Handgun Course provides you the critical tools and techniques to win a tactical encounter. Since most violent encounters occur in hours of darkness, this course also teaches basic night shooting techniques.
Note: There is a Night Shoot on the evening of Day 1.
Activities in the 2-Day Tactical Handgun include:
- Shooting at very close range (close contact and palm strike step back)
- Response to threats to the sides
- Alternative shooting platforms (supported kneeling and rollover prone)
- Shooting while moving
- Shooting at distances up to 50 yards
- One handed shooting with either the firing hand or the support hand
- Effective use of cover and concealment
- Engaging threats when “friendlies” are in the line of fire
- Shooting in low light and dark conditions
Firearm, Equipment and Ammo Requirements:
- Heavy duty semi-automatic or revolver
- Go here for Handgun Requirements and Recommendations
- “Pocket Pistols” which this facility defines as any handgun smaller than a Glock 26 (roughly 6.4" slide length and 4.2" frame height) are not allowed due to being difficult to manipulate, painful to shoot, and often less safe because the user is more likely to cover their support hand or other body parts with the muzzle. Muzzle attachments such as compensators and extended magazines do not change the overall dimensions of that weapon. We are basing our size parameters off of the factory condition of your weapon. In other words, if you added one of these items to your handgun and the size of the weapon has technically changed, does not mean that this weapon is now excluded from our pocket pistol policy.
- Holsters must be on the belt, correctly fit the weapon, completely cover the trigger guard, remain open when the weapon is removed, not allow the weapon to cover the shooter’s body, and not have a trigger guard retention device (such as the Blackhawk Serpa model and others). NO thigh rigs, cross-draw, etc.
- A minimum of three magazines and two single or one double magazine pouch is required. Magazine pouches worn on the belt on the side opposite the handgun. Speed loader holders worn in front of the holster.
- Electronic hearing protection is mandatory and is available at the Pro Shop or numerous retailers.
- You will need a handheld flashlight with a tail cap push-button on-off switch for the Night Shoot.
- Elbow and knee pads are recommended, but not required.
- A suitable backup weapon is strongly recommended, as many weapons fail at some point during the training.
- Go here for Ammunition Requirements
- 16 to 17 years old, welcome to take regular firearms courses alone as long as a parent or guardian is onsite; parent or guardian can be enrolled in a different course or on a different range.
- Minimum age is 11 if taking the course with a parent or guardian. The parent or guardian MUST be the one working with the child during the entire course, and be responsible for only ONE child.
- Children age 10 and under are not allowed.
- Unattended minors are NOT allowed on the property. They must be escorted by a parent or guardian at all times or be enrolled in an appropriate course.