This course will cover live fire exercises designed to master the skills learned in the classroom during the Precision Rifle Fundamentals course. The result is that you will be able to make first round hits on targets out to 750+ yards, including cold bore shots. Instruction emphasizes marksmanship, position shooting, range and wind estimation, reading mirage, hold-over estimation, dialing proper scope adjustments, and the used of data books and ballistics tables and calculators.
This course represents a combination of the previous Front Sight Precision Rifle 1 and Precision Rifle 2 courses, and takes the place of both.
Note: Please follow the required equipment list below. If you do not and show up with an inappropriate rifle or inappropriate gear, you may be asked to rent an appropriate rifle from the Pro-Shop, or may not be able to take the Precision Rifle class.
- Rifle (6.5 Creedmoor, .300 WinMag, .308/7.62mm, .338 Lapua, or similar caliber) capable of consistently shooting LESS than 1" groups at 100 yards (sub-MOA)
- Larger bore calibers such as .375 CheyTac, .408 CheyTac, .416 Barrett and .50 BMG and other similar calibers are NOT allowed
- Rifle must have mounted optics with:
- FINGER adjustable Windage and Elevation knobs with definite `clicks` (.25 MOA or .1 MilRad is a sufficiently fine adjustment range; you do not need any finer adjustment)
- Lens covers
- Bipod or Pack to act as a front rest
- A small sandbag for use under the stock is recommended, but not required
- A height adjustable cheek piece - either integral to the stock or field expedient
- A piece of closed cell foam (knee pad foam, section of pool `noodle`) that can be used to build up your cheek piece if needed
- Go here for Ammunition Requirements
- Match grade ammunition with the same lot number, manufacturer, bullet weight, etc.
- You will NOT be able to take the course with two or more different types of ammunition!
- NO armor piercing, steel jacketed, bi-metal, steel core, tracer, or incendiary bullets
- Hand loads are acceptable for this class ONLY
- Eye protection (mandatory)
- Electronic hearing protection (mandatory)
- Rifle cleaning kit
- Lubrication, solvents, coated cleaning rod, bore guide, toothbrush, nylon brushes, jags, patches, or VFG plugs, oil or grease, BoreSnake, etc.
- Rifle maintenance kit
- All torx and/or allen head wrenches, screwdrivers, etc. specific to your gun, mount, rings and scope
- Torque wrench is recommended for the appropriate ring, base and rifle screws
- Optics cleaning kit
- Lens brush
- Lens paper
- Lens cleaning solution or `lens pen`
- Pens, pencil, notebook
- Databook, like those sold by Storm Tactical (http://www.stormtactical.com/)
- MilDot Master or similar
- Ballistic calculator, such as Ballistic AE (Apple) or Applied Ballistics (Apple or Android)
- Rifle carrier/shooting mat combo is recommended
- ALL the manuals for your rifle, scope, etc.
- You need to know the following information:
- Ammunition brand
- Bullet make or style (if known)
- Bullet weight
- Distance from center of scope to center of bore
- Size of the markings in your scope reticle
- If you have a variable power scope, the magnification setting needed for the correct spacing of your reticle, if any
- Windage and Elevation adjustments (1 `click` = ___ MOA or MilRad)
250 rounds of Match Ammunition required